Sunday, March 25, 2012

For the Love of a Good Book

Most of my New Year's Resolutions at the beginning of this year, centred around finding more time for myself, and expanding my mind. I wanted to read more books, and finally get around to taking that short course at Tafe, that I have been promising to do for the last 9 years!

This year, I promised myself that I would *try* and read more books. I love reading, and always have, but since the kids (and then, scrapbooking) came along I found that I was lucky to read 5 books a year...pathetic!

At Christmas time, I was given an Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3G (Ian received it from his work, as a gift, and he was nice and gave it to me). I kinda had the idea in the back of my mind that I would try and read one book a month...that's only 12 books a year, and quite achievable, I think.

I even joined a book club last month, as a way to broaden my mind and read some books that I wouldn't normally even pick up. I can confirm that within the first month (and the first book) that, this was the case! The book I was given was The Lady and the Unicorn, and I can admit that had I not been *required* to read it, I probably never would have. But, that's the awesome thing about book clubs, not only did I enjoy the story, but I also now want to read other novels buy the same author (Tracy Chavalier is also the woman behind the story, which went on to become a film "Girl with a Pearl Earring").

So far, this year I have read 6 books (plus a couple of Kindle Singles - sort of like short stories for the Kindle), which is not too bad considering it is only March, and I am already half-way to my yearly target.


Chasing Rainbows - a book I picked up for $0.99 on the Kindle, I had no idea what it was about, but I finished it in about 3 days, not a bad read.
The Lady and the Unicorn - mentioned above.
Moloka'i - both beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time! I cried many times while reading this book!
Water for Elephants - I decided to read the book after having watched the movie - I enjoyed the movie, and I'm not ashamed to say that, Rosie (the Polish elephant) really made me want to read the book!
The Hunger Games - I'm ashamed to say that my sister lent me The Hunger Games (and Catching Fire) probably about 2 years ago,and in the end the only thing that made me read the book was because of the upcoming release of the film. Once I actually made the decision to sit down and read the book, I couldn't put it down! So annoyed that I didn't read it years ago!
The Help - I just finished this book today, and having not seen the movie I only had the vaguest idea of what to expect. I still can't get my head around the fact that the black maids were entrusted to raise the children of the white society ladies, but not trusted enough to not be accused of stealing the silver. I know it was a work of fiction, but it was based on actual  events, and I'm more that a little sad that all this was happening a little over 50 years ago!

Next on my list:
The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots by Loretta Hill (I'm actually hoping to go to a meet-the-author night at which Loretta will be at next month).
Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea (next book club book)
Catching Fire & Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Honolulu by Alan Brennert
The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes (another $0.99 special on the Kindle)
Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

No comments:

Post a Comment